Frugalware i686 is dead? Trying to upgrade 2.0 i686 to 2.1 gives me errors

• @dex77 , first of all - thank you so much for your wonderful distro!
    I have some software with complex build scripts which could be compiled
    only at x86 distro (simple cross-compilation does not work for my case)
    found that the last Frugalware i686 installation media is 2.0 version,
    which should be possible to upgrade to 2.1. However I encountered 2 problems:

1) because of dead mirrors, during the upgrade procedure I can't synchronize pacman
    2) even after I go and manually fix the mirror links, trying to upgrade gives me
    incompatibility messages like "X thing already exists in this filesystem"

Are there any plans to release a more recent i686 ISO with these issues fixed? or i686 version is officially dead and I should look for another distro to use as i686 build server? :cry:

P.S. Many of the mailing lists (except frugalware-devel) - fell under the spam, which is probably why the real people have stopped sending messages there

P.P.S. Maybe anti-spam answer at this forum should be made case-insensitive (in addition to "frugal", please add "Frugal". also "frugal!" and "Frugal!". Yesterday I tried to register and couldnt because I tried Frugal/frugal!/Frugal! amoung many things, but forgot to try a simple "frugal"

Best regards,
    qmastery16

• administrators

@qmastery16

Yes i686 gone. 2.1 is 64bit only with full multilib toolchain so in
    theory every 64bit package can have an 32bit package too.

Also what kind software is that cannot work with cross compiled packages ?

@dex77 please have a look at these anti-spam things..

• administrators

Hi @qmastery16 ,

funny, the Forum was dead for a very long time and I reactivated it just 5 days ago.

@crazy is right, i686 is dead, for a longer explanation why see: https://www.frugalware.org/news/265

Can you elaborate what kind of software doesn't work with multilib?
    Another option would be the usage of "QEMU System" which is part of qemu package:

/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386 will only emulate CPU and nothing else so it should be nearly as fast as pure metal host.
    There are also some fancy ways to start such a VM and make a chroot into it so its nearly transparent.

There are currently no plans to bring back i686 as arch.
    Perhaps if 100 new devs join and they get bored ;)
    But actually I think even then they will rather port to some ARM version.

Can you explain what you mean with "fell under spam" about Mailinglists?

The Anti-Spam was just a quick hack when I installed the forum, as E-Mail verify didn't work first.
    I disabled it and enabled reCAPTCHA instead.
    Should work for most people. :)

• @dex77 said in Frugalware i686 is dead? Trying to upgrade 2.0 i686 to 2.1 gives me errors:

funny, the Forum was dead for a very long time and I reactivated it just 5 days ago.

Luckily now its the top google result for "Frugalware forum" search, so hopefully other people would come

@crazy said in Frugalware i686 is dead? Trying to upgrade 2.0 i686 to 2.1 gives me errors:

What kind software is that cannot work with cross compiled packages ?

@crazy is right, i686 is dead, for a longer explanation why see: frugalware [dot] org/news/265

Can you elaborate what kind of software doesn't work with multilib?

Probably you have heard about coreboot open source BIOS project, which supports some laptop/desktop/server motherboards
    but maybe it supports yours and you may try it too ;) www [dot] coreboot [dot] org , coreboot [dot] org/Supported_Motherboards
    Sadly this list is not that big, so a lot of open source people - especially those who don't like EFI clumsiness and closed source EFI backdoors -
    are often buying their hardware strongly based on this coreboot supported_motherboards list,
    only to flash it with this open source BIOS instantly after purchase, maybe even before its first usage...
    (using flashrom software and some tools like SOIC8 test clip, it it easy to attach to BIOS storage chip and flash it directly and without de-soldering -
    super useful approach for those who are bad at soldering and don't want to accidentally ruin their valuable motherboard ;)
    and could back up old BIOS just in case, before flashing a new open-source one)

In addition to being able to boot from hardware devices with the help of SeaBIOS - seabios [dot] org/SeaBIOS - SeaBIOS could also launch the software "payloads" - such as memtest, tetris or KolibriOS floppy drive.

One of such "payloads" is FILO bootloader; and it is probably the only payload which currently can not be build on x86_64 OS - until someone will fix its' build scripts. I would like to have a FILO payload in my BIOS, but can't fix the build scripts by myself (I have tried!), - that is why I need x86 build server for my BIOS so that it could build FILO as well

Can you explain what you mean with "fell under spam" about Mailinglists?

Maybe you have already fixed this problem... Earlier I wanted to report this i686 problem to some frugalware mailing list ( -bugs or -users ? ) and looked at mailing list archives to check if it is not abandoned. Sadly all I have seen was a huge number of "jewellery" and "reay byan glasses", which discouraged me from sending a message there (because probably no-one would read it). Probably some other users already had this problem and that is why no new real messages since 2014 year?

coreboot and seabios sister projects - have a quite good anti spam protection at their mailing lists, i dont remember receiving any spam there :tongue:

• Two things confused me:
    1) Distrowatch page - wrote that i686 architecture is available ( https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=frugalware , please remove i686 if you can)
    2) Even when I didn't find i686 2.1 ISO, many links - including this one (https://frugalware.org/news/263) - gave me an impression that its just i686 2.1 ISO is unavailable, but all the i686 packages are available, so I could just take older i686 2.0 ISO and

If you are upgrading to Derowd from our previous stable release (Rigel), please read the upgrade part of our documentation - http://frugalware.org/docs/stable/upgrade

following these instructions, to easily upgrade my freshly installed 2.0 i686 Frugalware to 2.1 and further...

• administrators

@qmastery16

I do know coreboot but never build anything myself..

Also I assume FILO is build using gcc ?

If is so you probably don't need to fix much of your/FILO build scripts to
    compile a 32bit bin on 64bit..

all you need is to export some vars like , CC="gcc -m32" , CPPFLAGS="-L/usr/lib32" and maybe pkgconfig path
    but since this is somthing used by BISO I guess you only depends on glibc ?!

can you give me please an link to the source code of FILO ?
    ( also you can find me on irc on freenode just join #frugalware.dev )

also if you really want an update you can use our static tree of i686 which is there for our
    own server migration. But that won't solve the being up2date problem since is a 'static' repo.

From 2.0 install you need change your pacman-g2.conf to use this repo and only this one

http://ftp.frugalware.org/pub/frugalware/frugalware-2.1/frugalware-i686

We'll tell distrowatch soon to correct some things , thx for noticing..

• @crazy
    Yes, FILO is built using gcc. To build FILO:
    git clone review.coreboot [dot] org/p/coreboot.git
    git clone review.coreboot [dot] org/p/filo.git
    then cd to filo repository and run "make" command.

Here is FILO makefile:
    review.coreboot [dot] org/cgit/filo.git/tree/Makefile
    One person already tried to help me at coreboot's mailing list:
    mail.coreboot [dot] org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-June/084541.html
    but I still do not understand how to correctly modify Makefile to make it compatible with x86_64, so its just easier for me to stick to i686 server

What initially attracted me to Frugalware is very new packages at the same time while (seemingly) continuing the support for i686 architecture (unlike Arch). Right now I think that maybe your distribution is good for x86_64, but for i686 need to try something else like Void Linux ;)

• P.S. your anti-spam feature is blocking legimitate links also, forcing me to use "[dot]" as workaround. Maybe some math captcha (not necessarily reCaptcha) could be a better idea there. Have you heard about math captcha? Not necessarily the trivial 3+2 or 2 * 3, there are also some high school captchas like: lim x->0 (3x^2+5x+1)/(1.5x^2 + 3x - 1) ; --- answer is 3/1.5 = 2 of course . Easy to solve for human, but there are no bots which could solve that :D

• administrators

@qmastery16

ofc you can switch to every 32bit distro you wish but I can tell you you just don't need to do that..
    just don't waste your resources with 32bit stuff. ( I'm not saying stay with Frugalware )

I'm an coreboot noob and have no clue about it ( well I know how is working and is using kernel like Kconfig etc .. )
    but this is all about it..

you are right one need an small patch to Makefile but this should go upstream ..
    however this is easy to fix.. one have to quote $(AS) $(CC) for cross compiling.

here is what I did

( note I don't need to install any extra packages here )

1. cloned both repos

2. cd the_filo_folder and patched Makefile with this
      http://ftp.frugalware.org/pub/other/people/crazy/Makefile-quote-AS-CC-for-cross-compiling.patch

3. export CC="gcc -m32" LD="ld -b elf32-i386" HOSTCC="gcc" AS="as --32"

4. chmod +x ./build.sh && ./build.sh ( followed Kconfig for the defconfigs .. just pressed enter to whatever )

5. wait stuff compiled :)

LC_ALL=C gcc -v
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-frugalware-linux/6.3.1/specs
    COLLECT_GCC=gcc
    COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-frugalware-linux/6.3.1/lto-wrapper
    Target: x86_64-frugalware-linux

crazy@zwerg:~/FILO/filo/build$ file filo filo.elf 
    filo:     ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, with debug_info, not stripped
    filo.elf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

crazy@zwerg:~/FILO/filo/build$ uname -a
    Linux zwerg 4.11.4-fw1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 7 15:37:59 CEST 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

as you can see is really simple ...

I hope this help you a bit no matter what distro you want to use :)

• @crazy said in Frugalware i686 is dead? Trying to upgrade 2.0 i686 to 2.1 gives me errors:

I hope this help you a bit no matter what distro you want to use :)

Thank you very very much, dear friend ! indeed it compiles successfully after your changes ;) Hopefully one day you could get a coreboot-supported hardware to benefit from your solution by yourself :blush: (and also to get rid of nasty stuff like wifi whitelists / secret EFI backdoors ) . Now Frugalware is perfectly suitable for my purposes and I will be trying it soon - now as a fresh x86_64 bit version . Meanwhile, if you have any questions about coreboot/SeaBIOS please tell and I'll try my best to answer :)

One question though... Frugalware's distrowatch page says that "Init: other" (init system), but this 8-star review at the bottom - tells that the init system of your distro is systemd. Please tell is it really true? If not systemd, what init system are you using?

• administrators

@qmastery16

We still have systemd , one day it will go away, but right other things need to be done :)

Also nice to see it worked out to compile on 64bit for you :)

For coreboot is a bit problematic since I have some servers ( Intel ones ) and these doesn't
    seems to be supported.. But maybe I buy some laptop they support and play around :)

Looks like your connection to FrugalWare Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.